In 1910 two enterprising young men, Hugh Naylor and James Love, created independent building companies which for over six decades played a major part in the development of southern New Zealand.
Notable projects included:
- Dunedin Town Hall
- Evening Star Building, Dunedin
- NZ and South Seas International Exhibition 1925-26, Dunedin
- Regent Theatre, Dunedin
- First Dental School, University of Otago, Dunedin
- NZR Road Services Depot, Dunedin
- Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Dunedin
- Speight's Brewery, Dunedin.
In 1969, their two companies merged to form Naylor Love Enterprises Limited, now Naylor Love Construction Limited.