Naylor Love Canterbury has completed a number of projects at Christchurch Men’s Prison, Christchurch Women’s Prison, Rolleston Prison and the Kia Marama youth unit since 2011, both as part of a maintenance contract with Spotless and larger projects for the Department of Corrections.
As with most of our prison work nationwide over the decades, our work at the four Christchurch prisons has been carried out while the prisons are fully operational. This requires both our staff and our carefully selected team of subcontractors to maintain stringent security protocols, with careful management of site access and material movements, and constant vigilance required around tools, materials and vehicles.
We pride ourselves in maintaining excellent communication with prison staff, with a focus on causing as little disruption as possible to their day-to-day operations. This has resulted in our team successfully completing a number of projects at the prisons, including:
- AVL suite at Christchurch Women’s Prison, a new build connected to existing building with extensive coms connections, security and services
- Roof replacement and installation of skylights on an amenities block at Christchurch Women’s Prison
- Window replacements at Christchurch Women’s and Kia Marama, both in occupied areas
- Four new 600,000 litre steel water tanks at Christchurch Men’s and Women’s prisons
- Refurbishment of shower blocks in live exercise yards at Christchurch Men’s and Rolleston prisons
- PPO Unit, Christchurch Men’s Prison – New Zealand’s first secure residence for people subject to a Public Protection Order, including an extensive civil works project
- Management Unit, Christchurch Men’s Prison
- Christchurch Prisons Rapid Deployment Project
Client: Department of Corrections / Spotless