Meticulous craftsmanship on show in a grand, heritage-listed Victorian residence.
Marinoto House was built as a grand home in 1878, then used as a nurses’ hostel and convent. Now part of Mercy Hospital, the first floor of this grand Historic Place Category 2 building had fallen into disrepair in recent years. Asbestos contamination and unstable lath & plaster ceilings eventually required some areas to be sealed off.
Critically short of office space, our client engaged the services of McCoy and Wixon Architects to repurpose the existing spaces, returning them to their original layout and incorporating five offices, an ICT training room and meeting room.
We refinished the interior sympathetically in native timbers and fitted them with restored antique hardware, sash windows and radiators. Modern lighting, data, fire alarm and fire sprinkler requirements have been woven in with heritage Axminster carpets and William Morris wallpaper. The latter was masterfully fitted over re-plastered lath & plaster walls and terminated at lovingly recast plaster cornices.
Craftmanship, close integration with the client’s consultant team and patience have achieved a much-admired result.