Naylor Love has a long relationship with Mercy Hospital in Dunedin, having built a 66-bed hospital (then known as Mater Misericordiae Hospital Burwood Ave) for the Sisters of Mercy in the grounds of Marinoto House 1969.
Our more recent projects at Mercy Hospital include:
- a major redevelopment of day surgery unit in 2008, including a new day surgery unit, enhancements to the theatre suite, new staff room, and an increase in the number of single rooms available for stay-over patients. Naylor Love was involved in the project from a very early stage, advising on buildablity and design issues. Most of the work was carried out while the hospital was open, but progressed extremely well, opening three months ahead of schedule.
- a new four-storey concrete and steel car park in 2011.
- a fast-track redevelopment of an old nurses’ accommodation block into a up-market consultant’s suites, known as Mercy Care East, in 2012
- CSSD (sterile services) extension in 2013, again under an ECI (Early Contractor Involvement) model. Once the space was extended externally, the internal space was reconfigured and new equipment installed, with work including seismic strengthening to the existing structure, improvement of the fire ratings and protection systems, and new mechanical ventilation systems.
- redevelopment at the Marinoto Clinics (specialist clinic adjoining Mercy Hospital) in 2014.
- services infrastructure upgrades, 2016.
- Manaaki by Mercy, an award-winning stand-alone two-storey day stay facility for surgical and cancer services, 2016.
- two-level carpark, 2018.
- infrastructure and building services upgrades at the main hospital, energy centre, seismic strengthening of an existing carpark and a new pre-admissions clinic, 2019-2020
- heritage restoration of Marinoto House, 2020
Dust and noise always need to be managed carefully in hospital environments to ensure that the patients are kept safe and comfortable, and we also ensure that strict hygiene and infection control procedures are followed on site where there is interaction with patient areas.
Client: Mercy Hospital Dunedin Ltd
Completed: various dates, 1969 –
Awards: New Zealand Commercial Project Awards 2009 – National Category Winner, Health category, for work at the day surgery unit